5 Phoenix area restaurants with 4 or more infractions on a weekly review
Maricopa County inspectors cited five Phoenix area restaurants for four or more priority violations the week of June 28.
A priority violation is a major violation that directly contributes to an increased risk of foodborne illness or injury. If included in the reports, corrective actions implemented during inspection visits are included.
At the bottom, check out a sample of the many restaurants rated “A” for no violations.
Denny Restaurant, 1994 W. Baseline Road, Tempe.
- One employee washed his hands for less than 10 seconds and another washed with a handy bandage. | Educated on proper hand washing, including bandage removal.
- The waiter grabbed a piece of paper from the floor and then made drinks without washing his hands. The employee touched glasses and then handled food. Cook grabbed raw eggs with a gloved hand, then touched toast without washing his hands or changing gloves. A dishwasher would touch dirty dishes and then the dishes without washing their hands. | Educated on proper hand washing.
- Badly cooled cooked potatoes. | Discarded.
- Cooked sausages and ham not hot enough. | Reheated.
- raw eggs, liquid eggs, cooked fajitas, cooked sausages, various cheeses, cooked corn, packages of cooked macaroni and cheese and packages of cooked broccoli not cold enough. | Some items were thrown away and others moved to different coolers.
The charcuterie of Chompie, 9301 E. Shea Blvd., Suite 129, Scottsdale.
- The employee handled / smashed eggs, then touched and handled clean plates, cooked waffles and food without changing gloves or washing hands. | Wash hands and redo ready-to-eat meals that have been affected.
- The flies landed on bagels stored on an open shelf. | Discarded.
- Poorly cooled corned beef. | Discarded.
- Coleslaw, potato pancakes, ham, corned beef, chopped tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs and under-cold salads. | Some items were moved to the cooler and some were thrown away.
The cold stone creamery, 1649 S. Stapley Drive, Suite 102, Mesa.
- The employee served ice cream, took money, and served another customer without washing his hands or changing gloves. | Advised to wash hands between clients when changing tasks.
- Ice cream with sweet cream and chocolate ice cream not cold enough. | Passed in the freezer.
- Open the container of milk stored after the expiration date. | Discarded.
- The mop sink’s atmospheric vacuum breaker vault leaks when the water is turned on. | Repair before re-inspection.
Kuka Sushi & Izakaya, 1221 E. Apache Blvd., Suite 103, Tempe.
- The employee sliced lemons for the drinks with his bare hands. | Discarded.
- The dishwasher in use did not contain any chlorine disinfectant. | Repaired.
- Salad of squid, tofu and mozzarella not cold enough. | Discarded.
- Calamari salad stored after the expiration date. | Discarded.
Pizza Bistro a l’Origan, 37645 N. Cave Creek Road, Cave Creek.
- The employee washed his hands twice for less than the required 20 seconds. | Corrected.
- The employee returned from the outdoor cooler, removed his gloves, and put on new gloves to work with food without washing his hands. | Corrected.
- No chlorine disinfectant readable in the dishwasher. | Corrected.
- The atmospheric vacuum breaker is leaking from the dishwasher. | Must repair.
Category A restaurants
Bailey’s Pub, 3414 W. Union Hills Drive, Suite 16.
Brothers Pizza, 10720 W. Indian School Road, Suite 13.
Federico’s Mexican Food, 2240 W. Indian School Road.
Honey Bear’s BBQ, 5012 E. Van Buren St.
Lobster Knock Kneed, 3202 E. Washington St.
Burger King, 13725 N. Fountain Hills Blvd., Fountain Hills.
Que Bueno Restaurant, 13207 N. La Montana Drive, Fountain Hills.
Scottsdale Plaza Resort, 7200 N. Scottsdale Road, Scottsdale.
The Phoenician Resort, 6000 E. Camelback Road, Scottsdale.
Tutti Santi Ristorante Italiano, 6339 E. Greenway Road, Suite 108, Scottsdale.
South East Valley
ATL Wings, 70 W. Warner Road, Suite 100, Chandler.
Palette de Pinot, 2743 S. Market St., Suite 110, Gilbert.
Pita Jungle, 4 E. University Drive, Tempe.
Planet Smoothie Café, 444 W. Main St., Suite 100, Mesa.
Smokin Big Red BBQ, 20464 E. Riggs Road, Queen Creek.
Cucina Tagliani, 17045 N. 59th Ave., Glendale.
Dickey’s Barbecue Pit, 9860 W. Lower Buckeye Road, Tolleson.
Hurricane Grill & Wings, 11340 W. Bell Road, Suite 104, Surprise.
IHOP, 1491 N. Dysart Road, Avondale.
Yan’s Chinese Food, 15557 W. Roosevelt St., Suite 101, Goodyear.
Source: Maricopa County Environmental Services