Intervention in Ukraine, preparation for wildfires in California, support in Mexico
By Maeve O’Connor
Over the past seven days, Direct Relief has delivered 329 medical aid shipments requested in 37 U.S. states and territories and 10 countries worldwideincluding Ukraine.
The shipments contained 6.5 million defined daily doses of medicationincluding prenatal supplements, antibiotics, chronic disease medications, nutritional products and insulin.
In preparation for wildfire season in the western United States, Direct Relief is preparing to ship this week 30 emergency field medical packs as requested by the California National Guard. Each pack is equipped with triage and essential medical supplies, including infection control supplies, trauma care, diagnostics and PPE.
Also this week, in support of the Jalisco region of Mexico, Direct Relief traveled to Cabo Corrientes to distribute food kits to families who have recently been affected by heavy rains in the area. The delivery of the food kits is part of a long-term program to help Mexican communities which are regularly affected during the hurricane season. The meal kits are designed to feed a family of five for two weeks.
Since February 24, Direct Relief has provided medical aid weighing over 1.6 million pounds, or 800 tonnes, with more on the way. Over the past seven days, shipments including Covid-19 therapy treatments, cardiovascular drugs, antibiotics and more have left Direct Relief’s warehouse in California, bound for Ukraine.
This week, outside of the United States, Direct Relief shipped more than 5.5 million defined daily doses medication.
Countries that have received medical aid in the past week include:
Direct relief delivered 315 shipments containing 1 million doses of medicine over the past week to organizations including:
• Palmetto Health Council, Inc., Georgia • Pancare of Florida, Inc. Malone, Florida • Barnabas Health Services, Florida • The Health Hut, Louisiana • Center for Family Health and Education, California
- Prototype Health, Inc., Arizona
- Del Norte Community Health Center, CA
- Samaritans Touch Care Center, Inc, Florida
- Health Services Inc., Alabama
- Eunice Community Health Center, Louisiana
BEGINNING OF THE YEAR (GLOBAL)
Since January 1, 2022, Direct Relief has delivered 10,900 shipments at 1,765 health organizations in 52 US states and territories and 81 countries.
These shipments contained 333.5 million defined daily doses of drugs estimated at $1.1 billion (wholesale) and weighing 9.2 million pounds.
IN THE NEWS
- Recibirá BC insumos medicos a traves de asociación internacional altruista/ BC will receive medical supplies through an international altruistic association – El Mexicano: “The Baja California Government Representative Office, in coordination with the Department of State’s Policy Coordination Branch (SRE), managed the signing of a collaboration agreement between Direct Relief and the Secretary of Health. This agreement opens the possibility of accessing the catalog of supplies available for donation for the benefit of the public bodies of the Baja California government, so that the health centers of vulnerable communities are strengthened.
- Storm Resilience Projects Gain Momentum in New Orleans – New Orleans City Business: “Together, New Orleans, supported by federal funds, the Greater New Orleans Foundation, Direct Relief, and the U.S. Department of Energy, is coordinating a $40 million, 85 million “flagship” resilience center or network powered by commercial-scale solar systems with battery backup capability.”
- Harnessing Earth observation data for rapid disaster detection and response – Orange Business Services: “For example, when Kabul fell to the Taliban, many had to leave the city quickly in a dangerous situation. Direct Relief was responsible for hundreds of people at risk of violence. Balcony allowed Direct Relief to be fully aware of every individual working in the city and correlate them with alerts harvested from mapping, open source intelligence, and more.