New Tacos el Flacko food truck promises to bring authentic Mexican tacos to South End for $3.50
Tacos el Flacko is a new family food truck opening in the South End.
Co-owner Nason González describes the tacos as “auténticos” (authentic) and “hechos con amor” (made with love).
Why is this important: At 21, González owns a second-generation food truck in Charlotte with his brother (23) and sister (19). The siblings say they open the truck, in part, to honor their father’s legacy.
Rollback: González’s father, a Mexican immigrant, opened a trailer titled “Taqueria Los Tres Potrillos” at the corner of East Sugar Creek and North Tryon in 2003.
- “He started this food truck hoping to have a better life for our family,” González said.
- González, who is expecting his own baby, says he is doing the same for his growing family.
What to expect: Traditional Mexican tacos, not tex-mex. “No frills, no crazy stuff… how they are at home in Mexico,” González says.
- Tacos El Flacko will serve breakfast and dinner Monday through Sunday.
The breakfast menu: It’s based on the breakfast their mother made for them growing up, González says. They will have $2.50 breakfast tacos, calabacita (cut pumpkin with egg and cheese), beans and cheese.
- To drink, there will be aguas frescas (Mexican fruit juice), Champurrado (Mexican hot chocolate) and café de olla (Mexican coffee).
“This is dedicated to our mother who always made sure we were fed in the morning before school,” González says.
The dinner menu: For dinner, they will serve you carne asada tacos (grilled beef)al pastor (pork), carnitas (braising pork)sausage (pork sausage), pollo asado (roasted chicken) and campechanos, a traditional Mexican dish made with flank steak, chorizo and chicharrónes (pork rinds). They will be served with homemade salsa and guac.
- For drinks, you can order Jarritos, Mexican Coke and Topo Chico.
- Dinner is served from 5:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- The tacos are $3.50 each.
Details: Tacos el Flacko will have its soft opening from Monday October 3 to Thursday October 6.
- Meet them at 2321 South Blvd., in the South End Auto Inspection parking lot.
- On Friday, October 7, they will be at NoDa Brewing Co. for Food Truck Friday.